Friday, October 20, 2017


JUST

Let me share two recent experiences with you...  Make that THREE!
1.  I was at the check out of Walmart and the cashier asked me the name of my service dog.  I said, "I'm sorry, I don't give out his name because I don't want you or anyone else that may hear, to call his name and distract him from his job."  She said she understood and was checking out the rest of my groceries.  I noticed Musketeer giving a pre-alert to falling BG levels and that's when the cashier reached out and PET MY SERVICE DOG!!!  I told her to "LEAVE IT!" and finished the transaction and left the store, forgetting that Musketeer had given me a pre-alert and Musketeer forgot that he was about to alert because he was being petted!  I drove home with a dangerous BG level because of that cashier!

2.  I was at our big main doctor's office at the diabetic part of the building, so they could download my meter to order more test strips for the meter since I'm testing so much more now.  The first receptionist had me sit in the waiting room while they did the downloading.  The second receptionist got to her desk, sat down, saw my dog, JUMPED UP, Went through the door from the reception desk to the short hall, through ANOTHER door to the waiting room, ran toward Musketeer, calling out, "SERVICE DOG!!!!"  I gave her the hand signal for "LEAVE IT!" and sternly told her, "Do *NOT* Distract my service dog!"

3.  Took our son to a church school's Trunk or Treat event.  Musketeer did GREAT with all of the little kids running around, until one 8? year old girl POKED him with her Rae(?) from Star Wars stick!  Musketeer and I waited against a wall, out of the way from everyone and this 9 year old Batman boy ran up to Musketeer, hand outstretched and I shook my head and said, "No.  No, get back.  No!  LEAVE IT!  I said NO, he's WORKING, LEAVE IT!" and he finally stopped and ran off.   

Come on, people!  If you see a service animal.. if you see ANY animal...  Smile at the handler and continue on with what you were doing.  Please!

One man approached us with his 18 month old son, "May my son pet your... oh, it's a service dog, I'm sorry."  No no, that's okay, let me get my dog ready to meet your son.  Musketeer went into a down and CRAWLED up to the little boy and let the boy hold his nose while Musketeer wagged his tail.  The man thanked me and I told him THANK YOU for what he did by asking!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment