Wednesday, September 6, 2017


HOW DID THEY KNOW?

Several years ago... when I was pregnant with Buggy girl, I had gone to a neighboring town and I didn't realize my blood sugar levels were low when I was headed back home after.  *I* have no memory of a majority of this, but I was told a bunch of things later....

Story Time!

So I was headed home... about a 15 mile drive.  I was later told that it appeared that I was playing chicken with other cars, driving over the line and veering back into my lane at the very last moment.  I was told I clipped off one lady's side mirror from her car.  I lead  six police cars and the sheriff on a slow speed chase and they called my husband, "Do you know who might be driving your car right now?"  He told the officers that I was.  They asked him if I had any medical issues.  He told them that I was 3 months pregnant and I was a Type 1 diabetic.  The police put down a spike strip before I got to the exit to a main road.  The spike strip punctured three of the tires and I slowed to a stop, bumping into the sheriff's rear bumper.  Officers pulled me out of the car at gun point, had me laying on the road where they handcuffed me.

After I was handcuffed, they had me sit at the side of the road where an ambulance was.  They tested my blood sugar level and it was 33 (WAY TOO LOW!), gave me glucose and put me in the back of the ambulance, taking me to the hospital.  

By the time I got to the hospital, I knew what was going on, my blood sugar level was back in the normal range and I could finally think clearly again.  I was terrified because I didn't know what would happen to me.  The police didn't even talk to me (that I remember, or that I was told).  One of the ambulance guys told me that it will be on my record for awhile and the doctor would have to turn in my blood sugar test results for a year or two, to show I wasn't going to drive with a low like that again.

Well...........  I have a few times.  And yes, I test my levels before I get behind the wheel of the car.  Just sometimes, things happen and levels change and I can't tell they've changed and machines are about 20 minutes slower than actual levels, so I might get a reading of 80 (which is GREAT), but be on the way down and by the time it's too late, I could be in the 30s (which is WAY TOO LOW).

So, I was VERY GLAD to see that Diabetic Alert Dogs of America (D.A.D.A.) were training Musketeer to do THIS:


No comments:

Post a Comment