Thursday, July 9, 2015


Entry 3
I decided to stop calling titles "Day - number" cuz there are just going to be some days that I have nothing to say (IS THAT POSSIBLE???).  So, welcome to Entry 3!

I spoke with the Diabetic Alert Service Dog people today!  I had the phone interview and asked a zillion questions.  She was impressed with how much research and how well I read their information.  I learned a LOT and I know I'll be learning a lot more during the entire process.  Here is a run down of what I learned today:

  • $2,500 needs to be paid to start the process.  This will cover the cost of getting the breed, color and gender of dog *I* want, that is already trained for the basics (not to chew my favorite shoes, not to potty on the carpet, etc.).  They get dogs that are anywhere from 6 months of age to 1 year, so the dog has the maturity to start learning service and diabetic alert jobs.
  • I get to name the dog!  This came as a total surprise and I'm so excited!  If you want to give puppy name suggestions, put it in the comments below!  We'll be considering names choices until we hear the right dog has been found.
  • From the time the $2,500 is paid, it will take anywhere from five months to seven and a half months to receive the dog.  It can take anywhere from one day to two weeks to locate the right dog, then another five to seven months to get it fully trained, depending on the dog.
  • The dog will obey sit/lay/stay while I'm busy, but no matter what task I'm doing, if my blood sugar is starting to go high or starting to get too low, it will alert me and continue to alert me until I do something about my blood sugar level.  If I don't pay attention or not able to react, the dog will go to the nearest person and alert them there is a medical need.
  • It takes about 30 days for a puppy (dog) to get used to a new home, time change, climate, handlers.  It's a transition time for everyone, INCLUDING the dog.
  • Salt used to melt snow and ice hurts a puppy's feets.  Dog boots are suggested, esp. walking across Wal-Mart parking lots (or any business in this state).
If you see a service animal, ask the handler questions!  If they are focused on working, you might not be able to pet the dog, but who knows, you might get to meet an amazing animal!

Service animals are allowed in ANY public location (yes, including restaurants and grocery stores) with their handler.  According to the A.D.A. (Americans with Disabilities Act), business owners are allowed to ask two questions of the handler of a service animal:  1.  Is that a service animal? and 2.  What task does that animal do for you?  In my case, I'll be answering "Yes" and "Alerts me to medical needs".  They are not allowed to ask what type of disability do you have.  HOWEVER, if the service animal is peeing on the floor or eating the business's merchandise, it can be told to leave.  YouTube 'Service Dog Not Allowed' sometime.  It is amazing how many (including police officers) don't know this Federal law!

Service animals are not just seeing eye dogs anymore!  We have participated in events to fund Dogs for the Deaf.  Military personal might have service dogs to assist with their P.T.S.D..  If you have the time, please check out this amazing VIDEO.  To see what a D.A.D. (Diabetic Alert Dog) can do for me, watch HERE.  ("Pawing" is the dog alerting the handler that their blood sugar levels need attention.).

If you have questions, comments or name ideas for my Service puppy (dog), please put them below in the comments! 

THANKS!


No comments:

Post a Comment